Friday, 30 November 2012

SANCTUARY (2003) V. ESOTERIC (2012) BOOTLEG BOX SET - VOL.1 Comparison

Running times: 
Sheffield 1974 
Original release 43:53
Esoteric Version: 41.27

Royal Albert Hall 1975 disc one 
Original release: 50.07
Original (re-issued and corrected) release: 68.53
Esoteric Version: 50.12

Royal Albert Hall 1975 disc two 
Original release: 53.50
Esoteric Version: 53.52

Croydon, Fairfield Halls 1975 
Original release: 61.47
Esoteric Version: 61.47

Bilbao, Spain 1976 disc one
Original release: 44.28
Esoteric Version: 44.29

Bilbao, Spain 1976 disc two 
Original release: 69.57
Esoteric Version: 69.58

Berlin, Germany 1976 
Original release: 31.26
Esoteric Version: 30.33

So, which one is the Best? 
The Box: a draw - Sanctuary's box is much bigger and more robust, whereas Esoteric's is smaller (with a clam-shell design). Whilst it is marginally less robust it is also glossier and more colourful.

The design of discs: Esoteric - coloured 'vinyl' CDs just like some bootlegs.

Look of the CD sleeves: Esoteric - several have extra photos and to my eyes are less garish than the Sanctuary sleeves.

The design of the CD sleeves: Sanctuary - as it's far easier to get the discs out due to their larger size. Fans with big fingers will be struggling to remove the discs from some of the Esoteric sleeves (especially the two gate-fold ones). Sanctuary additionally included inner paper-sleeves to protect the discs, Esoteric didn't.

The Booklet: Esoteric - 16 pages with colour & black & white photos (several of which haven't been reproduced in decades) compared with the fold- out rather cheap looking one included in the Sanctuary set. 

The Essay: Draw - both are solid, professionally written but slightly dull. 

Sound Quality: bit early to say but so far I'd say Esoteric just edges it. 

Running times: Sanctuary - for their corrected second issue only. Comparing both sets (original uncorrected releases) - a draw.

Errata - since this went to press I've noticed that I've mislabelled two of the photos - in my defence one wasn't labelled in the source magazine.  So, the shot of Chris Franke with the screen that I labelled as being in Spain in 1976 is of course during TD's 1974 UK tour (North East Polytechnic in London) & the B&W shot of Peter Baumann that I have labelled as Dusseldorf in 1976 is in fact from Paris in '76.

Want more news? then join the ZEST Facebook group: Here

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Andy, for this photographical documentation. Based on that, and especially the fact that the RAH gig lacks from the last 18 minutes, I think the original version wins on nearly every account. Of course it doesn't have your memorabilia scans, but I find the monochrome artwork on orange backgrounds extremely ugly and amateurish. The (coloured) vinyl style cd's always suck, and I have hundreds of those already. Nice that you found high resolution of the Hamburg '76 gig pictures I once sent you.

    Have a nice day. Best regards,
    Jacob. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done A King. Always nice to see photos to compare. I think I will pass on this one as I already own Boot One and Two. See if they improve or get it right on Two. I'll be waiting for Boot 3. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ David Wait and see mate, I still think the Esoteric set is better than the original Sanctuary Box - especially as many people weren't even aware that there was a track missing from the RAH recording.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BOOTLEG BOX VOL 2 & 3 - cancelled

    ReplyDelete
  5. errata - since this went to press I've noticed that I've mislabelled two of the photos (in my defence one wasn't labelled)....SO the shot of Chris Franke with the screen that I labelled as being in Spain in 1976 is of course during TD's 1974 UK tour & the B&W shot of Peter Baumann that I have labelled as Dusseldorf in 1976 is in fact from Paris in '76.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ESOTERIC Bootleg series continues in 2015 with THE OFFICIAL BOOTLEG SERIES VOLUME ONE, release date in SEPT 25.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.